Environmental responsibilities are integral to the way we do business.
BlueScope Steel is committed to continual improvement of our environmental performance and the efficient use of natural resources. Wherever we operate, we develop, implement and maintain management systems for health, safety, environment and the community that are consistent with internationally recognised standards and enable us to:
- Identify, assess and manage risks to employees, contractors, customers, the environment and communities
- Strive to achieve leading industry practice
- Meet or exceed applicable legal requirements
- Set and achieve targets that include reducing waste and preventing pollution
- Develop our people and provide resources to meet our targets
- Support the fundamental human rights of employees, contractors and the communities in which we operate
- Respect the traditional rights of indigenous peoples
- Care for the environment and value cultural heritage
- Advise on the responsible use of our products.
Wherever possible, we seek to:
- Reduce the generation of waste materials at their sources
- Reuse waste materials onsite
- Recycle waste materials offsite
- Minimise the storage or disposal of these materials either on or offsite, pending the further development of processes to increase their practical reuse
BlueScope’s Greenhouse Policy Principles provide the measure by which the Company will assess climate change policies of government and all other parties. Many examples of our commitment to the environment can be found in our Community, Safety and Environment reports.